Monday, February 21, 2011

"Follow Your Heart" Business Planning

A lot of people ask me, "How did you do it?". Meaning, how did I leave my job to "Follow My Heart" and do the work I love. Their question is somewhat in the context of how I did it emotionally, but usually, how I "actually" did it. They want to know, what actual steps I took to start my own practice. They want to know because, like me, they are interested in doing more meaningful work.

When I first started out, I didn't keep good track of my expenses or give any thought to what the next six months or year might look like. I didn't ask myself too many business-related questions at all, in fact. You might even say, my new business was sort of like therapy! I jumped into it with complete abandon throwing all caution to the wind. Once I found my office space, it was like playing house. I had free reign to make the space look and feel however I wanted---it was mine to transform. I found just the right rug, furniture, lamps, and artwork. I painted the walls a warm yellowish-golden tone---something I wouldn't have the courage to put on my walls at home. (But, I do now!). And without even knowing the name of the final paint winner, I'd settled on a color called "Lucky Duck". Boy, was I. So lucky---so blessed---to have the opportunity to be building a richer and more meaningful work life.

In retrospect, though, I wish I would have paid a little more attention to my expenses. Since I was still working full time in my corporate job I had a good steady income to pay for my part-time fun. I didn't know how much money I was spending and didn't care. My soul was singing and I felt life coming back into step. As fun as it was, I don't recommend this approach!

I've learned a few lessons, like the long-term benefits of having a budget! I am sharing my wisdom and many "lessons learned" with anyone who is interested in benefiting from them. The number one best thing I could have done is to write a simple, even a draft, Business Plan. Taking a little time to get a few important things on paper is like planning for a long road trip. It's a good idea to have a detailed map and a pretty good understanding of where you're headed. A business plan is your map and your destination in one. It can even be designed for a little detour here and there!

On Wednesday, March 9th, I will be teaching my second class on "How To Start Your Own Healing Practice". The first time I offered this class, it was focused more on the inspirational side of things. This time, I've invited my personal business management coach, Leah Jacobs, to co-teach with me. Leah specializes in small business start ups and helped me get clear on the business side of things in my practice. Although, my time playing house was great, I needed to remember it was also a business---Leah brought the two together for me just beautifully.

If you or someone you know is looking for help to start a, or build an existing, healing practice this class will offer some tools that might just take things to the next level. We have designed the class with a focus on how to develop a draft business plan. We will walk through some basic steps as participants work to find answers to write the draft---during the class. It is sort of like a workshop. It will be insightful and full of opportunity to ask questions. We hope to keep Q&A going throughout!

Class will be held at East West Bookshop in Seattle.  Follow this link on how to sign up.  http://www.eastwestbookshop.com/events/single_event.php?ID=2439

Follow Your Heart!  .....joy to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment